Supporting a child who has been sexually abused
Supporting a child who has been sexually abused can be confronting.
Here are a few tips to help you along the way:
- Remain calm
- Be a listener, not an investigator
- Be sensitive and supportive
- Tell them you believe them
- Reassure them they are not in trouble
- Talk about their right to be safe
- Inform the Department of Child Safety and/or the Queensland Police Child Protection Investigation Unit (CPIU).
Contact True Child & Family Service for professional support:
True Child & Family Service are now located at:
216 Draper Street
Cairns QLD 4870
Phone: (07) 4281 6893