Registered Nurses, Midwives & Nurse Practitioners
This interactive course aims to provide theoretical and simulated training in the insertion and removal of Implanon NXT® and provide product knowledge and patient counselling.
Implanon NXT® education and simulation practice will consist of ~60 mins online pre-reading and 2 hours of face-to-face education regarding contraceptive implant use in clinical practice including assessment, counselling, insertion, and management of complications. Implanon NXT® insertion and removal simulated practice on model arms will occur under supervision by experienced Implanon NXT® clinical educators.
For many years Implanon NXT® training has been run by the manufacturer of Implanon NXT® and delivered by organisations such as True. True is proud to be a preferred training organisation for Implanon NXT®. From 2018, Implanon NXT® training will no longer be run by the manufacturer and True will be offering this training in a similar format.
Registration fees are no longer subsidised by the manufacturer.
Registered nurses and midwives working in the area of reproductive and sexual health, practice registered nurses and community health registered nurses would benefit from this course.
AHPRA registration as a registered nurse, midwife, or nurse practitioner
Must have a minimum of 1 year post registration experience.
Please note this course is designed for clinicians with prior experience in local anaesthetic administration.
- Composition and mechanism of action
- Side effects including bleeding patterns and guidance of management
- Patient suitability, contraindications and medication interactions
- Patient consent
- Timing of initiation of contraception
- Insertion procedure, including anatomical considerations
- Removal procedure
- Reinsertion procedures
- Post procedure patient advice
- Advice for complex implants such as deeply inserted implants
- Long Acting Reversible Contraceptives
- Local anaesthetic administration
- Expert tips
Participants will receive a certificate of attendance for Implanon NXT® education and simulation practice. The session includes feedback on simulation procedure technique but doesn’t include a formal competency assessment. The certificate may be used as evidence of attendance of training.
For group bookings of up to 14 participants, please contact us. Groups sessions -$1680 per session.
Following the workshop, candidates are to complete an evidence log of supervised practice within their workplace to gain confidence and competence in live insertions +/- removals of Implanon NXT®.
NOTE To complete the clinical completion:
- Your Scope of Practice must include Implanon NXT® insertion +/- removal
- Must have Professional Indemnity Insurance (PII) cover for Implanon NXT® insertion +/- removal
Supervisor conditions apply:
- Completion of Implanon NXT® training a minimum of 12 months prior (copy of certificate required)
- Minimum 5 insertions and 5 removals in past 12 months (signed declaration required)
- Successful completion of the workshop and supervised workplace practice will lead to Statement of Completion of Implanon NXT® training in either insertion only or insertion and removal
- Please note: True are unable to provide placement for clinical completion.
||$120 (includes GST)
||Attendance of Theory & Simulated Procedure Technique
||AHPRA registration as a registered nurse, midwife, or nurse practitioner
||5:30 - 7:30 PM (60 minutes online content to be completed prior to training)
|17 October 2018 - Brisbane
|28 November 2018 - Brisbane
||Blended - online content & face-to-face workshop