Yarrabah / Cairns
Applications: 26 April 2017 - 15 June 2017
1 day per week
Cairns Sexual Assault Services are looking for an experienced sexual assault Counsellor to provide counselling services to children and families; this work will be within the Yarrabah Indigenous community.
As a Counsellor (Child and Family) you will:
- Provide sexual abuse counselling to children and young people who have been sexually abused, and who may or may not be subject to child protection statutory intervention
- Provide counselling and support for non-offending family members and/or carers who have been affected by sexual assault
- Participate in the provision of interventions where problem sexual behaviours or sexually abusive behaviours are present in young people
- Provide acute response to victims of sexual assault where required
- Facilitate group work
Cairns Sexual Assault services is a branch of True (formerly FPQ) and is a leading provider of reproductive and sexual health services to people in Queensland. True offers clinical services, education and information across Queensland from its offices located in Brisbane, Cairns, Rockhampton, Bundaberg, Sunshine Coast, Ipswich, Toowoomba and the Gold Coast as well as the sexual assault service in Cairns.
True is a pro-choice organisation and is a not-for-profit public company limited by guarantee.
Applicants are required to write a brief cover letter and address the selection criteria.
- Relevant tertiary qualifications in Social Work, Psychology or Counselling to such level that entitles registration with respective professional body
- Demonstrated knowledge of and skills in, safety planning with families
- Demonstrated understanding of cross-cultural issues (primarily those relating to Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander culture) in providing counselling and support services to children, families and communities who have experienced sexual assault
- Ability to understand appropriate legislation, best practice guidelines and knowledge of interagency protocols in relation to child sexual assault and child protection
- Criminal history check
- Positive notice - 'Working with Children Check' administered by the QLD Public Safety Business Agency
- Awareness of key issues in supporting an effective and safe working environment including employment equity, anti-discrimination, occupational health and safety and ethical behavior
- A current Driver’s Licence is essential as travel to and from Yarrabah is required.
- Evidence of immunity to Hepatitis B. (Minimum requirement to commence employment will be the first vaccination having been undertaken and agreement to complete the vaccination course and provide evidence of immunity within 9 months).
Click here to view the full Child and Family Counsellor - Cairns Sexual Assault Services position description.
Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people are encouraged to apply.
For further information about the position, please email Bev Broughton, General Manager: Education and Community Services at email@example.com
How to apply
Please provide a cover letter with your CV and a short response to each of the selection criteria.