The course aims to provide basic knowledge about aspects of sexual and reproductive health. The successful completion of this course enables the clinician to have a foundation to move on to further training.
The course is designed to provide an overview of all areas. This foundation will enable you to progress on to other learning.
These modules are presented in an online easy-to-navigate platform. Each module is divided into separate units. Within the units are reading and links to up-to-date articles that should be completed as you progress through each unit.
Module one is a short introduction and this is provided free-of-charge with any other module. Modules two to five will each take approximately 3-4 hours to complete; modules six to ten will each take approximately 2-3 hours to complete.
The course consists of 10 Modules each with units within the module:
- Module 1: Reproductive Anatomy and Physiology
- Module 2: Sexually Transmissible Infections 1
- Introduction, safer sex practices, the role of the health professional
- Viral infections
- Module 3: Sexually Transmissible Infections 2
- Bacterial infections
- Populations and situations
- Module 4: Contraception 1
- Barrier methods
- Fertility awareness based methods
- Module 5: Contraception 2
- Pills and Rings
- Emergency contraception
- Module 6: Fertility and Pregnancy
- Fertility and infertility
- Becoming pregnancy and continuing a pregnancy
- Unintended pregnancy
- Module 7: Female Reproductive Health Issues
- Lower urinary tract and pelvic floor dysfunction
- Polycystic ovary syndrome
- Cervical screening
- Breast screening and breast cancer
- Female sexual dysfunction
- Ageing and lifestyle
- Module 8: Understanding Vulval and Vaginal Health
- The vulva and vagina
- Common conditions (non-STI-related)
- Female genital mutilation
- Module 9: Male Reproductive Health
- Hormones in men
- Prostate and urinary concerns
- Penis problems
- Sexual difficulties
- Testicular concerns
- Module 10: Sexual Violence
- Social and economic costs
- Risk factors
- The role of the health professional
Eligibility & Pre-requisites
Medical or Nursing Qualifications would be an advantage.
Enable participants to develop knowledge and understanding of sexual and reproductive health issues in a variety of contexts and provide an opportunity to identify options for sexual and reproductive health promotion.
On completion of this course the participant will be able to:
- Critically reflect upon personal attitudes and values towards sexual health.
- Discuss the issues and processes of sexual and reproductive development and disease processes through the lifespan.
- Examine issues, attitudes and choices that impact upon sexual expression and behaviour, and promotion of sexual and reproductive health.
- Identify factors that influence reproductive and contraceptive choices.
- Describe the main health issues affecting male and female sexual and reproductive health.
Accreditation and Credit Points
This course may attract credit points towards other courses. Participants are required to make their own enquiries with their course coordinators regarding options for credit.
Registered Nurse Sexual & Reproductive Health Certificate
Participants completing this course as part of the full Sexual & Reproductive Health Certificate have six months from the date of registration and payment to complete all 10 modules.
On successful completion of thiscourse, participants have completedone component of the RegisteredNurse Certificate in Sexual andReproductive Health.
The other components are:
These courses can be taken asstand alone components as requiredto meet your professional andworkplace needs.
Please note that Registered nursescompleting all three components meetthe requirements to be awarded theRegistered Nurse Certificate inSexual and Reproductive Health.
Sexual & Reproductive Health Course for Medical, Allied Health and other interested professionals
On successful completion of individual modules or the whole course, participants will be awarded a certificate listing the learning outcomes and anticipated time for completion of each module. This certificate can be used for submission to obtain Professional Development or Continuing Medical Education points to the relevant organisation.
|Cost ||The full 10-module course can be purchased at a reduced cost of $500 or |
Each module can be purchased individually: Modules 2, 3, 4 and 5 are $75 each Modules 6, 7, 8, 9 and 10 are $50 each
|Duration ||Self-paced |
|Dates ||Online anytime |
|Delivery Method ||Online |